On 2021-01-14 14:09, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jan 2021, Chris wrote:

However do you see any package that we could happily deprecate in the
process? ;)
I'm not sure what IO's policy is. But, given python2x went EOL upstream.
You could eliminate python/python27 from the list. Which, given all the
packages that _depend_ on it, would make the list even smaller. ;-)

Regardless of Python 2x going EOL upstream, there is a remarkable amount of Python
2 code continuing to be used in the world.

People did not necessarily rush to convert their software so that it would work with Python 3 even if they had heard repeated mentions that they should do so.

In somecases the port forward to Python 3 is easy and in other cases it is a nightmare.

The '2to3' helper tool only goes so far. Problems often remain and can only be
discovered by exercising every code path.

OpenIndiana should not be the first to remove Python 2x entirely.
LOL. Trust me. I'm *well* familiar with the "challenges" involved porting forward. A real PITA. But was forced to do so with all the ports I maintain w/FBSD. Whom
dropped the last nail in the Python2 coffin 12-31-20202. :-(
TBH I'm more the type; if it ain't broke. Don't fix it. But not everyone shares my
policy. ;-)
So. Just in case you thought otherwise. I am in no way lobbying for the removal of Python2. I (with tongue-in-cheek) suggested it, because it would have easily
been the shortest route to a smaller list. :-)

All the best.

Bob
--Chris