If I understood your question correctly, you don't want to generate or apply patches that make code only buildable and work on a specific architecture.  You want a patch that can be applied regardless of architecture and then have the build generate the objects that it needs from the same code.  Ideally, you will try to work with the upstream community to take your patches and use code directly from them instead of applying patches to their releases.  I get that there are sometimes issues that prevent that from working out as quickly as you might need.  Applying patches to community release should be avoided and pretty much only a stopgap, temporary measure. If you look at the oi-userland gate, you will find components that include patches that add support for architectures.  You should also find components that build both 32 and 64 bit support.  that is controlled via the BUILD_BITS variable in the component Makefile (https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/blob/oi/hipster/components/desktop/pulseaudio/Makefile)

    -Norm