I'm going to guess that you're not really asking "how do I script oiiotool to
resize images over a certain resolution", because writing a shell script to do
that wouldn't be very hard, and writing a short Python program (based on
ImageBuf/ImageBufAlgo directly, rather than oiiotool) would be even easier.
(But if I'm wrong about the nature of your question, say so, and I'm sure we
could outline how the script might work.)

I *think* you know how to do the scripting, and you're asking how to judge
which images should be resized, the problem being that you want something
smarter than "resize the big ones". Maybe you have noticed that some images are
big and "need the resolution", but other images are big but blurred out -- that
is, they aren't taking advantage of the resolution (and storage) they entail,
their highest representable frequencies at that resolution barely being used,
so you are tempted to think that they could be re-saved at lower resolution
without losing any essential detail. The trick is to figure out for which
images that is the case, and how much you can safely downsize.

Am I getting warmer? Or way off base?

--
Larry Gritz
l...@larrygritz.com