Also agree on #2.

On 09/21/2016 11:50 PM, Jep Hill wrote:
I second the vote for #2

On Sep 21, 2016, at 9:59 AM, Deke Kincaid <dekekinc...@gmail.com <mailto:dekekinc...@gmail.com>> wrote:

I like #2.

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 9:36 AM, Larry Gritz <l...@imageworks.com <mailto:l...@imageworks.com>> wrote:

    So in following the spirit of OIIO's core mission to allow a
    single generic API to shield users from the gory details of each
    individual format (as much as possible), I feel strongly that
    --quality should not magically change directions and scales for
    one format. If --quality 100 is "looks perfect" and lower numbers
    mean "smaller files, bigger artifacts" for every other format, it
    shouldn't be that for exr, 45 is perfect and larger numbers mean
    smaller files. Also, it leads to confusing errors if you set the
    "CompressionQuality" in an image metadata and then try to output
    it to multiple files of different file formats.

    That's why quality is basically ignored for dwaa and instead you
    can set the "openexr:dwaCompressionQuality" attribute -- it's
    possible to set it, and the name communicates clearly that you
    are making a peculiar format-specific adjustment (that will be
    ignored by other format writers, if the same output is sent to a
    different file).

    OK, but I do see that this is awkward and verbose. So I'll
    propose two alternatives, and am happy to go with whichever
    people want:

    1. As Kevin points out, we can use something akin to Karl's
    mapping (I'll find a cubic curve that maps these smoothly?) of
    quality's 0-100 scale into settings for DWA compression quality.
    I don't know if that will give you a "smooth" response either
    visually or in terms of file size. If somebody wants to do a
    little research and try to map out a more perceptually or
    size-wise linear response, please volunteer.

    2. Another approach is to skip --quality, and just allow the
    compression setting to be built into the compression name!  How
    does this look: --compression dwaa:45 or --compression dwaa:200.
    The idea is that anything starting with "dwaa" would turn on dwaa
    compression, and any optional trailing numbers would set the
    dwaaCompressionQuality.

    Opinions?

    On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 8:15 AM, Deke Kincaid