OK, my stab at this is here: https://github.com/OpenImageIO/oiio/pull/1493

Please follow up comments on the approach on that PR, if you don't mind.

It would be great for somebody to pull that patch on their end and give it
a try (works for me, but would be good to have somebody else confirm it
meets their expectations).

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 1:35 AM, Mike Wong | ax.gmail <artix...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> #2 +1
>
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 12:36 AM, Larry Gritz <l...@imageworks.com> wrote:
>

>> 1. As Kevin points out, we can use something akin to Karl's mapping (I'll
>> find a cubic curve that maps these smoothly?) of quality's 0-100 scale into
>> settings for DWA compression quality. I don't know if that will give you a
>> "smooth" response either visually or in terms of file size. If somebody
>> wants to do a little research and try to map out a more perceptually or
>> size-wise linear response, please volunteer.
>>
>> 2. Another approach is to skip --quality, and just allow the compression
>> setting to be built into the compression name!  How does this look:
>> --compression dwaa:45 or --compression dwaa:200. The idea is that anything
>> starting with "dwaa" would turn on dwaa compression, and any optional
>> trailing numbers would set the dwaaCompressionQuality.
>>
>> Opinions?

Larry Gritz
l...@imageworks.com