Larry,

This is in C++ and using ImageInput.

I did notice after sending my original email that in rawinput.cpp, the method
read_tiff_metadata() shows how to create a new ImageInput of type ‘TIFF’ and
then load data into that directly from a filename. That method completely
bypasses all of the libraw code. Not sure how I overlooked that earlier.

But that would appear to be working because of the (reasonably sound)
assumption that most RAW files have a TIFF formatted header. Can this technique
be extended to all image formats that contain embedded metadata?

Thanks,
Kenny