Not sure if this will help you out, but out of curiosity, have you tried
only deleting or renaming the file? From what I remember when I used oiio
on Windows, I was able to do delete/rename.

Also, here's some general Python tips:
- Use os.splitext(path) to get everything leading up to the extension, and
the .ext. For example "my file.ext" becomes ("my file", ".ext")
- Use os.path.join(pathroot, filename) when joining paths, because it
handled when the path root ends with a '/' or not.
- Strong formatting is generally preferred to strong concatenation because
it is usually faster, and can be more readable. For example: outfile =
"{}.tmp{}".format(filename, ext)