On Sun, Oct 3, 2021 at 6:22 PM Larry Gritz <l...@larrygritz.com> wrote:

> Sorry to dribble this out over multiple emails.
>
> The entire build log you linked to below is a build of OCIO, not OIIO.
> They will know better how to diagnose the problem with their build.

Sorry, my intent was to see if there was poor communication before posting
an issue with OCIO.

There was only one version in place, this is a distro level build, not
something performed on my computer, so your 2nd email may be the cause.

My point is that OIIO and OCIO are coupled and that changes in either
should be coordinated. And this is not unique to OIIO.

When OpenEXR was updated and Imath separated, OpenVDB was not updated at
the same time to be compatible, which is ironic as they are both ASWF
controlled. I actually manually ported OpenVDB to OpenEXR/Imath 3, which
was later accepted. My point is that it should not have been necessary.

Upstreams of known dependencies should talk to each other. As a package
maintainer finding these issues is problematic on several levels.

API changes often directly impact maintainers quality of life and it's 100%
preventable. I do this as a volunteer and have devoted 1000s of hours to
this endeavor.

Sorry, this is not 100% directed at you, actually your insentance on ABI
compatibility makes OIIO one of the easier packages to maintain overall but
just triggered me in this instance.

Thanks,
Richard