Hi Dirk,

Kessler, Dirk wrote:
Armin, thanks for your reply.

We have transactions that span multiple web requests (pages) and we use
the PK values to identify objects that have been persisted on the
various pages (in order to re-display the contents of the objects if the
user goes back to one of those pages).
There are definitely many other ways we could have solved this problem
but re-using the IDs created by the makePersist method seemed the most
straightforward (since OJB makes sure that all of the IDs are unique).

I would suggest to use one of the OJB listener interface to get notified about the new inserted objects:
http://db.apache.org/ojb/docu/guides/pb-guide.html#Hook+into+OJB+-+PB-Listener+and+Instance+Callbacks
http://db.apache.org/ojb/docu/guides/odmg-guide.html#Access+the+PB-api+within+ODMG

e.g. your class can implement PBLifeCycleListener and add itself (if objects will be inserted) after the odmg-tx started as temporary listener, then on t.commit you can read all PK's via PBLifeCycleListener#afterInsert

Instead of the PK values you can use the OJB Identity object of each persistent object, then you can re-display the objects via PersistenceBroker#getObjectByIdeneity which is much faster than using an OQL-query.

Thanks for your suggestion of using the SequenceManager.

-Dirk