michaelweghorn added a comment.

  In D7949#295165 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D7949#295165>, @sander wrote:

  > The patch should not influence the behavior of rasterized printing.  The
code used QPrinter with the poppler splash backend before, and it should still
do that.

  I might be wrong, but my observations seem to indicate the behavious has
changed.
  As far as I understand, the PSConverter/FilePrinter code path is now used for
the `forceRasterize` option as well (rasterization being enabled by the call to
`psConverter->setForceRasterize(forceRasterize)`).

  One way to validate this (besides debugging) is also to check what kind of
print file is passed to CUPS, i.e. located in `/var/spool/cups/` for the
respective print job.
  Previously, CUPS was passed a PDF print file (generated by the QPrinter
approach), while a PostScript file is now passed (generated by the
`Poppler::PSConverter` and then passed via `FilePrinter`).

  > Thanks for all the heads up given in this thread, but since Albert was so
much opposed to this patch at least originally, I will not push it without
explicit consent from him.

  My impression was that the main concern is/was that the Arthur backend is/was
not yet ready "to be exposed to the ordinary user", since it may cause all
kinds of problems (@aacid: Please correct me if I'm wrong.).
  As I mentioned in my previous comment D7949#290186
<https://phabricator.kde.org/D7949#290186>, I think it MIGHT help to better
"hide" the option in the options of the PDF generator, since I guess "ordinary"
users will probably not play with those so much and thus become "irritated"
(but what do I know?).

  Also, would it make sense to have an (additional?) experimental option to
enable the Arthur backend in general, i.e. for showing the content on screen
(as a separate change), so people who really want to experiment can do so even
more?

REPOSITORY
  R223 Okular

REVISION DETAIL