cullmann added a comment.

  In T10243#201347 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T10243#201347>, @filipf wrote:

  > In T10243#201303 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T10243#201303>, @ngraham
wrote:

  > > Yeah, an app's icon is a part of its branding. It //should// look
distinctive, not generic. Ideally it communicates both its purpose ("I'm a text
editor!") as well as its identity ("I'm Kate!"). I think the problem with some
of these icons is that they only do the former, not the latter. I don't think
there is a conflict here, though!

  > This seems like the crux of the issue to me, I don't think it's that much
about the flat vs. skeuo debate.

  > Some icons listed here are distinguishable, still do a decent job in terms
of branding, and would maybe only benefit from a little tweaking (e.g.
Gwenview). But others such as the Okular, Konsole, Kate, KWrite, Yakuake, and
the previous version of the Kolf icon look somewhat generic to me.

  Yes, KWrite, ok, that is just some "non-SDI" Kate, I could live with it
having just the same icon or the icon with some emblem like Kate.
  But Kate's icon is just maximal generic, could be any editor.
  The current draft of Tyson looks more like a simplified miniature version of
the woodpecker mascot.

TASK DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/T10243

To: cullmann
Cc: IohannesPetros, alex-l, starbuck, cullmann, IlyaBizyaev, ognarb, arrowd,
abetts, stikonas, knauss, mglb, filipf, mludwig, aacid, lesliezhai,
elvisangelaccio, kossebau, trickyricky26, ndavis, yurchor, #kde_games, #ark,
#kde_pim, #discover_software_store, #yakuake, #kate, #okular, #gwenview,
#konsole, #kde_applications, #vdg, ngraham, cblack, konkinartem, ian, jguidon,
hannahk, Ghost6, jraleigh, MrPepe, fbampaloukas, squeakypancakes, alexde, GB_2,
crozbo, firef, alexeymin, skadinna, genaxxx, aaronhoneycutt, jriddell,
mbohlender