Not only that, the author gets a lot of the "legal" stuff wrong.

Of interest, though, is that we may soon get a decision in the Google
book digitization case. It's been tied up in questions about whether the
Authors Guild can rightfully represent "all authors," and the question
of digitization and fair use hasn't been addressed. A court recently
decided that the Authors Guild could not bring a class action, and at
least one legal expert thinks that Google may win on the fair use
defense regarding digitization for the purpose of indexing.

http://laboratorium.net/archive/2013/07/01/second_circuit_decertifies_the_google_books_class

It would be great to at least get *that* part settled.

kc

On 7/11/13 7:13 AM, Tom Morris wrote:
> It's an interesting article, but the title is incorrect, and possibly
> libelous.  As the body of the article explains, the legality of Open
> Library's lending practice of using a digital proxy for a physical copy
> has never been tested.
>
> Tom
>

> On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 7:07 AM, Vojtěch Vojtíšek <vojtise...@gmail.com
> <mailto:vojtise...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hello everyone,
>
>     I've come across an article this morning with kind of a warning in
>     it, called "The Internet Archive’s Open Library is violating
>     authors’ copyrights", see goo.gl/SWi09 <http://goo.gl/SWi09>. How
>     are some of the issues (electronic/scanned books loan vs. physical
>     books) dealt with in OL?
>
>     Thank you for any information given,
>
>     Vojtěch

Karen Coyle