Hi all,

Just throwing it out there: two resources I found interesting for
their information about book covers and what OL calls "formats".

1. A 'dictionary' of book terminology by the Independent Online
Booksellers Association. I've seen many formats around OL, and many
are explained in this list (dust jackets, casings, boards, etc.).
http://www.ioba.org/pages/resources/book-terminology/

2. An episode of the BBC television series "The Beauty of Books", "The
Paperback writer" (29 mins) discussed and embedded here:
http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2013/07/05/bbc-the-beauty-of-books-paperback-writer/
There's a bit about the rise of paperbacks, cover design, and prime
example the novel "Nineteen Eighty-four" by George Orwell (of which
Penguin seemed to have published more editions than are listed in OL).

Enjoy!

Ben