On Sep 25, 2013, at 10:51 AM, Karen Coyle <kco...@kcoyle.net> wrote:

> Ann, I'm not expert on either accessibility nor the Open Library reading
> software, but I did just try to use the reader on my iPhone. On my
> computer, when I open the reader, there is a "sound" icon in the upper
> menu bar that turns on the 'read aloud' feature. On the iPhone in Safari
> that upper bar is not present, therefore I do not see how to turn on
> 'read aloud.'
>
> Do we have anyone on the list who knows details of the reader software?

Hi Karen and Ann,

Apple's iOS blocks the multiple HTML5 audio API calls that the bookreader uses
for its Text-To-Speech feature, so that button does not appear on iphones and
ipads.

Open Library makes DAISY books available for print-disabled users, but
unfortunately these are not very usable on the iphone.

Using Apple Voiceover on the plain text version of the books in Safari is also
not very usable.

Ann, would it be possible for you to acquire a hardware device such as the
Humanware Victor Stream reader that works with OL DAISY files, and have someone
help you load it with the books you want?

-raj