Andre, I looked at the OL page, and the later editions of the books
there that are listed with the link "ebook" are available for borrowing,
not for download to keep. The Archive has a library-related ebook
borrowing program, so you may be able to borrow the book, but not
download it to keep.

kc

On 5/5/14, 5:10 AM, Andre Robatino wrote:
> As an example, I am interested in an ebook for
> https://openlibrary.org/books/OL5613510M/The_economic_problem
> (specifically the 1st edition from 1968, not the later ones). Strangely,
> there are ebooks for a few later editions, but not the first. If it was
> due to copyright issues, I'd expect the opposite. If I click on the
> "Internet Archive" link
>
> https://archive.org/details/economicproblem00heil
>
> and then take the URL of the animated GIF
>
> https://ia600506.us.archive.org/16/items/economicproblem00heil/economicproblem00heil.gif?cnt=0
>
> and go up a level
>
> https://ia600506.us.archive.org/16/items/economicproblem00heil/
>
> there is a listing of what looks like a complete scan of the whole book.
> (I can't be sure since most of the files can't be downloaded. Is it a
> security issue that I'm even allowed to list the files?)
>
> So my question is, if the whole book has in fact been scanned, why is it
> only available as a protected DAISY, and not an ebook, although a few
> later editions are also available as ebooks? More generally, is there a
> huge amount of scanned content that's unavailable due to some kind of
> programming issue, and not copyright?

Karen Coyle
kco...@kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net
m: 1-510-435-8234