Hi,

Yes, your ideas make sense, but they cannot all be easily translated
to API calls.

>From ISBN to book (note that you may get multiple books that have the
same ISBN) and finding the works with those books (although note that
not all books have associated works; last time I counted ~20% had no
work associated) are easy. Finding other books belonging to the work
is not possible using the API, as far as I know.
But if you manage to find them, selecting the one(s) with an ebook is
again easy.

Wait, scratch the above. I used the Query API before, but now see how
it supports what you want. See
https://openlibrary.org/dev/docs/restful_api#query

You can get the editions belonging to a work like this:
http://openlibrary.org/query.json?type=/type/edition&works=/works/OL678564W

Hope this helps.

Ben