Based on the (limited) benchmarks I've seen, we'd pay a price in terms of
build time and size (both worse than the Java version).

These are not for "advanced compilation", but interesting to see the
comparisons with Babili here:
https://github.com/babel/babili#benchmarks

For non-advanced compilation, Babili and Uglify are significantly faster
than Closure Compiler (Java).  And both get close to the same build size.
The Closure JS Compiler doesn't look worth consideration in this case.

If advanced compilation sizes were comparable (between the Java and JS
Compiler), I think dropping the Java dependency would be worth the extra
build time.

I'm hopeful that when we're free of the Closure Library and have an option
to build the library together with applications using more mainstream Node
based tools, the convenience will outweigh the benefits of advanced
compilation with Closure Compiler for most users.  The promise of advanced
compilation with the Compiler sucked us in but made it very inconvenient
for many people to use the library - people who I imagine are now using the
full build while only requiring a small subset of it, negating the benefits
of advanced compilation.

Tim

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 1:40 PM ThomasG77 via OL3 Dev <
ol3-dev+apn2wqd1qo02iujdynb9zab1n0c3_oeoexmrcge1jtoa5lmzjk3om...@googlegroups.com>

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ol3-dev/CAKdrn%2BfmExbPo_ib35ZOrvrR0bc_fPv14NW-B1ht4BfjAmmEOQ%40mail.gmail.com.