You just described how the Dealer Training taught us to do it :

Set to Ball & pointer then drop a screw driver in your pocket and take a test
drive ~ top gear , 30 MPH stamp the throttle and listen ~ no ping ? add more
advance and try again .

Give it all the advance it'll take without ping .

pretty good basic design , eh ? .

-Nate