As for myself, when I see an old truck like yours parked somewhere, I get all
excited. I can't wait to walk over and take a closer look. The more original it
looks, the more impressed I am. But if I see that it's been "modernized", made
less like it was originally, I feel a bit let down. If I talk to the owner and
he tells me how he removed "the good running 6 banger" and replaced it with an
8, some of the air comes out of my balloon. That's just me, of course. But
somehow the more it looks and sounds like it did in 1954 or thereabouts, the
more romantic it feels and I get more of a glow just looking at it. (I should
add that invisible safety mods don't bother me at all.)

If you DO swap out some of the original parts, at least consider making them
available to those who are struggling to restore a modded truck back to it's
original form....

Just how I feel about it.

...chico

On Aug 31, 2013, at 8:35 PM, d...@kvederis.com wrote:

> I have a 54 Chevy 3 window.  The original owner was a Texas farmer who kept
> it for 40 years with no major changes to the truck - it is well worn but very
> original. I bought it 20 years ago and stored it until my retirement a few
> months ago.   It is time to restore it and I am on the fence about whether to
> 1) keep it as close to original as possible (for example 6 volt electric), 2)
> do a modest upgrade (for example 12 volt/ add a radio/change door locks/etc)
> or 3) really goose it up (for example, go V8 short block/stick on the floor/
> lots of chrome/etc.  My goal for the truck is to have a great looking and
> reliable daily driver that I can leave to my son someday.  I might drive it
> in the local fourth of July parade but it won't be entered into a Concours
> d'elegance competition. I am neither a collector nor car restoration
> enthusiast but I do appreciate well done restorations and fine paint jobs. I
> came across and joined your old-chevy-truck group. I am very open to hearing
> your opin
 ions and suggestions.  Thanks!  Dave