I recently became aware of Kim Andrew Elliot's VOARadiogram (now Shortwave
Radiogram). I think that adding FLdigi or a similar piece of software to
OLPCs would allow news and educational texts and images to reach even the
most remote locations via shortwave broadcast.

http://swradiogram.net/

OLPC is a great project and shortwave data and text would be a great
addition. A wind-up or solar-powered shortwave radio (like the Freeplay)
combined with the low power OLPCs (do they still have a dynamo charging
option) would allow unlimited texts to be received.

I think that for something meant to be used in remote locations, broadcast
text and image support would add a great deal to the machine and to the
lives of people using them as a primary window into the world outside their
remote locations.

--
Phillip J Rhoades
HowToPhil.com