There should be a file called: /etc/xdg/menus/kde-applications.menu. It may be called plasma-applications.menu. I had to rename plasma-applications.menu to kde-applications.menu and create a link from kde-applications.menu to plasma-applications.menu, but just creating a link from plasma-applications.menu to kde-applications.menu should work. That is where the plasma system is looking for the main menu.

kbuildsycoca5 --menutest may help.

On 14/11/16 11:19 AM, Alexander Stefanov-Khryukin wrote:
>~/.config/menus/applications-merged/xdg-desktop-menu-dummy.menu
no such file

    Try removing the file
    ~/.config/menus/applications-merged/xdg-desktop-menu-dummy.menu
    then run kbuildsycoca5. That worked for me.

    TPG told me that the problem was with the package desktop-common-data.

    Regards,

    Chris