Jumbo frames are a major help. Also, try using multiple streams (break single
rsync job into multiple jobs). Also be sure to use rsync native protocol and
don't tunnel it over ssh. Then there's bbcp which can push a single copy
operation into multiple streams to fully saturate your disks/network ;)
https://www.slac.stanford.edu/~abh/bbcp/

Michael