hi
Intention of this test and tuning cycle was to check 4k video editing capability from OSX and Windows to a Solaris or OmniOS storage over 10G/40G to SSD or NVMe storage.

With tunings and large 4k videofiles I was able to get about 900MB/s on write with peaks up to 1000 MB/s over SMB 2.1 tested with the video editing tool AJA on Windows and speed test on OSX. These are more or less sequential tests with a lot of large files. Values on Solaris were slightly better than on OmniOS so I asume OS or driver defaults are more optimized there at least regarding 10G/40G. Reads were always slower and more critical to settings and cablings. NFS values on OSX were not nearly as good and quite disappointing (at least on OSX).

With smaller NTSC/PAL video settings (test uses many small files then) performance went down to 500-600 MB/s with writes and a little lower on reads.

I currently do some tests with i40e on Intel XL710 where the difference is heavy with 2200MB write on Solaris and 1500 MB/s on OmniOS with same settings while reads are currently a disaster at least on Windows with up to 300 MB/s on Solaris and 150MB/s on OmniOS.

In best cases these values were nearly as good as iperf values so near wire speed.

I would not asume that you can reach high performance values with rsync. Zfs send should be faster as it creates a filestream. I woukd not expect that they can come close to the above even with zfs send over mbuffer or netcat. A pure copy should be as fast from/to OSX orWindows or with cp over netcat.

Gea