On Sun, Sep 18, 2016 at 9:55 AM, Richard Skelton <skelt...@btconnect.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
> I would like to create a zfs file system in my zone and create snapshots
> like I would in a global zone.
> In the zone I see:-
> root@fred5:/root# zfs list
> NAME                           USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
> rpool                         38.6G  93.2G  23.5K  /rpool
> rpool/zones                   2.94G  93.2G    19K  /zones
> rpool/zones/fred5           1.85G  93.2G    19K  /zones/fred5
> rpool/zones/fred5/ROOT      1.85G  93.2G    19K  legacy
> rpool/zones/fred5/ROOT/zbe  1.85G  93.2G  1.85G  legacy
> root@fred5:/root# ls /zones/fred5
> ls: cannot access '/zones/fred5': No such file or directory

So the way it works is this: the dataset

rpool/zones/fred5/ROOT

is delegated to the zone. Anything above that is associated with the global
zone;
that dataset or below is associated with the local zone. You get to see all
the parents
in the hierarchy, with their mountpoints in their own context, which is a
bit confusing.

> root@fred5:/root# zpool list
> NAME    SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  EXPANDSZ   FRAG    CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
> rpool   136G  30.3G   106G         -    19%    22%  1.00x  ONLINE  -
> root@fred5:/root#
>
> Before I install any optional software I would like to create a zfs file
> system and mount it on /opt in the zone.
> How can I do this?

In this case, it could be:

zfs create -o mountpoint=/opt rpool/zones/fred5/ROOT/opt

However, I wouldn't normally do this. If I was creating datasets for use by
zone, I would create a separate dataset such as rpool/fred5 in the global
zone
(with mountpoint set to none), use 'add dataset' in the zone configuration
delegate that dataset to the zone, and use that to create my own filesystems
in the zone. The aim being to separate my own data from that managed by the
operating system.

(Although the same issue of conflicts arises with the use of /opt, which the
OS might think it has control of. Creating /opt/local or /opt/company-name
one level down might be a better choice.)

--
-Peter Tribble