On Sun, 18 Sep 2016, Richard Skelton wrote:

Before I install any optional software I would like to create a zfs file
system and mount it on /opt in the zone.
How can I do this?

Don't attempt to do this because OmniOS delivers some essential package content to /opt (e.g. gcc run-time libraries) and you will encounter booting problems after an upgrade (I was slightly singed by that). Default OmniOS has /opt in the boot environment so if you move it out of the boot environment then the installation will be inconsistent.

You should be free to mount on mountpoints within /opt.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn