> On Oct 11, 2016, at 6:03 PM, Jeff Stockett <jstock...@molalla.com> wrote:
>
> I upgraded a system from 012 to 018 just now and everything went totally
> smoothly – system rebooted fine.  However, the boot environment names weren’t
> what I wanted and since beadm can’t rename the active one, I create a new
> one, activated it, and rebooted again.  On reboot this second (and subsequent
> times), I’m getting this in /var/src/log/system-boot-archive:default.log:
>
> [ Mar 20 14:25:01 Executing start method ("/lib/svc/method/boot-archive"). ]
> cannot find: /etc/cluster/nodeid: No such file or directory
> cannot find: /etc/devices/mdi_ib_cache: No such file or directory
> cannot find: /etc/devices/retire_store: No such file or directory
> [ Mar 20 14:25:50 Method "start" exited with status 0. ]
> [ May 18 05:20:09 Enabled. ]
> [ May 18 05:20:14 Executing start method ("/lib/svc/method/boot-archive"). ]
> [ May 18 05:21:15 Method or service exit timed out.  Killing contract 16. ]
> [ May 18 05:21:15 Method "start" failed due to signal KILL. ]
>
> The system eventually comes up to a single user mode login, and if I login as
> root, and enter “svcadm clear system/boot-archive” and/or maybe just wait a
> while longer, then logout the system eventually comes up and works fine in
> multi-user mode, but I was wondering if there is an easy way to fix whatever
> I’ve done to shoot myself in the foot here?  I tried “bootadm update-archive”
> but that doesn’t appear to fix it.

When you manually ran 'bootadm update-archive' did it give you any output such
as "updating..." , or did it silently exit?

If the latter, do something like 'touch /etc/system' first, then run it, as
bootadm will regenerate the boot archive only if it detects any changes in the
files its concerned with. And yes, I've seen this same problem you speak of on
rare occasion, with a rebuild of the boot archive being the cure.

/dale