The SSH Daemon is in most cases the limiting party.
The ssh client is allowed to support much more older
and weaker algorithms and protocols.
Therefore I would compare the Ciphers and macs the
Server supports.

If you run the ssh client with "ssh -vvv" then you see
what the SSH server offers and what the client can do.

Preferences can be tweaked from the server side if the
order inside the Chipers / KexAlgorithms / macs
are changed. The same is the case on the client side
if e.g. the allowed algorithms are locked down to a secure
and fast enough Cipher / mac.

I've seen on older CPUs that they limit transfer speed
early if newer algorithms are used. The hardware
accelleration does not help in all cases, as they can't
support all algorithms with accelerated subtasks.
Are junks very small? Then HW-accelleration is usually
killed by the overhead.

So I would experiment with the algorithms / macs and try
finding one which is accellerated on both sides.

Thomas

> > Can you provide the output of 'ssh -Q cipher' from both your FreeBSD and
> > OmniOS boxes?
> >
> > /dale
> >

>  Hi
>
>  Seems to be the same