I have also tried the CentOS example and it works for me.
I have created a small howto setup LX and the VM, see

I have not used SmartOS in the past so the concept was at first not clear to me. What I must say is, that this seems to be a real killer innovation for OmniOS as you can run OmniOS as a very solid ZFS filer with additional Linux services running directly especially with preconfigured services as a container where you only need a copy and import/run after some small editings of a config file like shares or nics.

What I will add to the current concept in napp-it is deploying containers together with the config file (zone.cfg) like it is done on ESXi where you can simply provide a folder with the VM that you can simply import and run. An option is that one deploy LX images as a folder imagefile with the zone config file within and the container with the OS as a subfolder.