While I do have a dedicated low-power box I can use, it came to mind that I could use OmniOS on a more powerful Internet-facing server and use it as the firewall for my network (screening and session-oriented NAT). Assuming that the Internet-facing interface is sufficiently battened down, this should provide optimum performance for other software running on the same system while providing good security.

I know that ipfilter is available in OmniOS but have heard that it is a bit dated when it comes to NAT.

Has anyone tried (or is it feasible) to install OpenBSD or FreeBSD (perhaps pfSense or OPNsense) in a KVM instance (running in a zone) to provide an effective firewall for LANs?

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn