I thought Apple was giving up on netatalk, but I might be wrong.
The netatalk maintainers should know more detail.
Last version update to 3.1.10 is from 20160912

About SMB, the more recent SMB implemtations with the updated
SMB protocol should be and interesting choice compared to netatalk.

I think samba 4.4 supports SMB2 and early versions of SMB3, but
you should verify if samba or kernel-SMB from illumos give the
expercted results.

I can't tell right now what the exact kernel SMB protocol version
in Illumos is currently supporting.

One scenario could be to run the kernel SMB in the fileserver
global zone and one samba instance in a non-global-zone to make
up login/domain service.

What type of SSD for ZIL do you intend to use? Will it be mirrored?
It is a critical component that even gets small writes of data,
depending on the type of transaction which is performed.
(Details are up to the ZFS experts).

I have a compile job running right now and see if I can make a package
with netatalk 3.1.10 for OmniOS. Samba 4.4.9 is alread in the repo
on http://sfe.opencsw.org.

Regards,
Thomas