On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 7:50 PM, Bob Friesenhahn <
bfrie...@simple.dallas.tx.us> wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Jul 2017, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
>
> we have discussed this in the core team and found that no one of us has
>> been
>> using LTS until now and no one is planning to do so in the future ...

A couple of points here:

The first is that while the project is finding its feet, making decisions
about
what the detailed support model might look like in 6 months to 2 years time
is somewhat premature.

The second is that the support model doesn't have to be an exact mirror
of the schedule that OmniTI put in place. There's no reason you couldn't
adjust the cadence and level of releases.

Now the current release (151022) is marked as LTS. So at least you're in
a reasonably stable place right now and have options, with no need to
commit to anythjing for a few months.

Which does open the question: how many people need LTS? (And what
does LTS mean for them - in terms of how long support would be needed,
and what level of support/backports they expect.) Perhaps Chris could
chip in here, but I know that with my $DAYJOB hat on the idea of
dropping security updates for release X as soon as release Y comes out
is a bit of a non-starter.

> This would be a great way for a commercial outfit which offers paid
> support contracts to get involved.  LTS releases are quite a lot of
> commitment and work but a commercial support company might be able to
> commit to doing this work.

I think we've already concluded that doing this isn't a viable commercial
proposition.

> Alternatively, a different set of volunteers could focus on LTS.

Well quite - community projects tend to have their direction set by those
actually doing the work. Doing LTS "properly" is a heck of a lot of work
(and the amount of work increases rapidly over time as you diverge from
mainstream). But I can imagine an LTS-lite extended support model
with just crucial security fixes would be a lot easier (and might be what
customers want anyway).

--
-Peter Tribble