When I add a USB disk from an image it always shows up as the 1st disk so the
boot order using "c" will always select USB.

How do I boot from the 1st hard drive without disconnecting USB?

-device piix3-usb-uhci,id=uhci \
-drive file=$HDD1,if=virtio,index=0 \
-drive file=$HDD2,if=virtio,index=1 \
-drive file=$CD1,media=cdrom,if=ide,index=2 \
-drive file=$CD2,media=cdrom,if=ide,index=3 \
-drive
if=none,id=usb_stick,file=/rpool/virtualmachines/qa-tableau04/usb.img,index=4 \
-device usb-storage,bus=uhci.0,drive=usb_stick \

I have also tried with using the bootindex option in -device but it seems that
you have to use -boot "strict" option which is not supported in Illumos.

Using the -boot "menu=on" option I can select the correct boot device, but at a
loss why index doesnt work and also attaching drives with -device so that I can
use the bootindex option doesnt make a difference.

I am starting to get the feeling that some aspects may be hard coded.