On 11/29/20 7:45 PM, Gilles Gouaillardet wrote:
> Aisha,
>
> yes, you can install multiple Open MPI implementations in parallel,
> simply use a different prefix when running configure.
>
> Newer versions of Open MPI support the latest MPI standard
Makes sense :D
> (there is
> not a direct link between an Open MPI version
> and the MPI standard version though).
Do all OpenMPI major versions support the latest standard?
That would simplify things a lot :D
> That being said, with the exception of a few removed/deprecated
> subroutines, a given version of the MPI standard is a superset of the
> previous versions.
> This is at the source level, and Open MPI does not generally guarantee
> ABI compatibility between two major versions.
Makes sense too. I was not expecting ABI compatibility between major versions.
> Last but not least, keep in mind several packages depend on MPI, for
> example mpi4py (python bindings), parallel FFTW (Fast Fourier
> Transformations), parallel hdf5/netcdf (I/O).
> So since Open MPI has generally no ABI compatibility between major
> versions, you would also need multiple versions of the dependents
> packages (one per Open MPI version).
Yes, I am aware that we would need multiple "slots" for each dependent
packages. We have a half finished project that was started a couple
of years ago which does this slotting of packages and MPI implementations.

Thanks a lot for the answers.

The unfortunate reality is that the default MPI pakages are badly managed in
almost
all operating systems and any decent cluster has a sysadmin who cooks
up a solution for their use case :(
Even users who want to use OpenMPI, most of the times, install it manually to
tune and get a better control over it.

Making the default packages saner at the operating system level should hopefully
help a lot of people.

Best,
Aisha