Here is some info I got from my colleague Tarun Tej, hopefully answers your
questions.
?Jorge

There are two ways that a PyPDPServer (PEP) can receive a notification from PDP.

1)      Through Websockets. We use websocket as internal mode of communication
between PDP and PEP. (default)

2)      It can also use UEB.
callPDP method in turn makes a REST call to PDP component and returns back a
response from PDP (XACML). The XACML response from PDP is converted back to
Config /action or decision responses depending on the call made.
The non-deprecated version of getDecision is
getDecision(DecisionRequestParameters decisionRequestParameters).
There are currently three calls that are supported by PEP (Policy XACML)

1)      getConfig ? This is a configuration based policy. When made a request
the response should give back a configuration if a permit.

2)      getDecision ? This is a generic decision based policy. The response
contains either a permit or deny.

3)      sendEvent ? This is an action based decision policy. Where upon
occurrence of few events (signatures) the POLICY can either perform an action
or suggest an action to be taken by the PEP.

Hope this answers all the questions here.

Regards,
Tarun Tej.