Hi all,

I'd like to share some of my thoughts about ONAP Microservice Architecture for
Casablanca and beyond

1. Service Mesh

Service Mesh is the next generation of Microservice approach, which can bring
lots of benefits to ONAP and its users at both the development and operation
sides. Such as

the separation of business logic and Microservice infrastructure(communication,
security, metrics etc)

allowing free choice of development tech stack

flexible route rules to enable traffic steering and canary release

monitoring and tracing visibility

fault injection for resiliency testing, etc

We should take service mesh into consideration. There are multiple choices on
the table right now, given its tight relationship with kubernetes which is used
for ONAP deployment, I suggest we give Istio a shot in Casablanca. MSB project
is investigating the possibility of integration of Istio and ONAP right now.

2. Centralized Authentication

ONAP is a huge system consisting of many services. Currently, different
services such as AAI, SDC, Policy etc. have their own authentication process,
which makes ONAP difficult to use and adds burden to the individual project to
enforce the cross-project authentication logic. We need to consider
implementing some kind of centralized authentication, which means user login
once and can access all the services. We also need to consider how to secure
the access of 3-party systems by using API token or OAuth.

3. Unified API standard

Most of the projects produce RESTFul APIs for consuming, but in a
none-consistent way. we need to define some unified standards/best practices on
the REST API definition across the ONAP projects such as versioning, url, error
code.  There is a draft in the wiki page:
https://wiki.onap.org/display/DW/RESTful+API+Design+Specification

BR,

Huabing