This is likely to get worse before it gets better.  As part of the Beijing
release many components have implemented clustering where one pod becomes
three.  Clustering is likely to be most common with the data-bases and there
are a lot of them.

The OOM team is looking to try to improve at least some of this by trying to
eliminate some of the extraneous data-base instances in a three stage process:

  1.  Use common Helm charts to deploy all of the data-bases in ONAP. Many
projects already deploy DBs this way and the OOM team is working with the
project teams to convert the rest.
  2.  Introduce cluster data-base technology into the OOM common charts so that
all projects deploy their own DB clusters. Some of this already has been done.
  3.  Consolidate the multiple instances of DB clusters into shared instances.
This is especially important for mariadb (going to mariadb-galera) which has 9
instances in ONAP today. Each of the project teams will need to accept the use
of a shared instance so it’s unlikely that we’ll immediately get to a single
instance of all DBs.

Consolidation of the number of base images has a lot of value with respect to
security and general complexity management so there are many reasons to focus
on this.

There may be many other areas where improvements could be made.

Cheers,
Roger