From: onap-tsc-boun...@lists.onap.org [mailto:onap-tsc-boun...@lists.onap.org]
On Behalf Of SULLIVAN, BRYAN L
Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2017 5:06 PM
To: Hellmann, Gil; onap-tsc@lists.onap.org
Subject: Re: [onap-tsc] Usage of commercial VNF and NFVI+VIM solutions for ONAP
R1 use cases, and open lab

For an open source community, the use of proprietary software in the production
of the platform (including tools, NFVI platforms, or VNFs used as use cases for
developing the platform in open labs), or as part of the released platform,
takes the project into a tricky space. It will complicate how “open” the labs
actually are, e.g. who has the ability to use what where, and the transparency
of test results with/against specific proprietary components.

Certainly it would be useful to provide some environment in which commercial
NFVI platforms or VNFs are tested against the ONAP platform, and takeaways from
that used to help improve the project. But that environment would probably need
to be separate from the main “open” labs or more tightly controlled, as access
to the proprietary components/VNFs would be problematic.

An alternative to using proprietary NFVI platforms is to focus the integration
testing in the OPNFV, where open source versions of NFVI platforms are freely
available for testing with. Integrating/testing with these (currently
RedHat/RDO, Ubuntu, Mirantis, and Huawei) can address probably the vast
majority of issues in ONAP-NFVI interop, and a side benefit is that any gaps
would be addressed in an open source space (avoiding the temptation to address
gaps by adding proprietary feature compatibility into ONAP). We are planning to
drive ONAP-NFVI integration in OPNFV for that purpose over the current and next
release. I will be giving a talk on this at the OPNFV Summit the week after
next, so invite any more detailed discussion on what’s planned.

Thanks,
Bryan Sullivan | AT&T