Hello Lingli and the ONAP development community:

First of all, please accept my apology for putting everyone in this
position in the first place with regard to the election for the Use Case
Subcommittee Chair position.  The irregularity stemming from the fact that
some new members to the sub committee were added to the vote, and some were
not is a clear operational error on the part of the Linux Foundation
support team.  We won't let that happen again.

Further comments and clarifications are inline below....

On Sun, Jul 9, 2017 at 4:58 PM, Lingli Deng <denglin...@chinamobile.com>
wrote:

> Phil and all,
>

> I also agree that it is important to make up for the loopholes in the TSC
> charter, but I think the correction of irregularities is the key to
> building a truly trusting environment. Without this basic openness and
> fairness, the prosperity and success of the open source community is at
> high risk.
>

> Since when the voting is initiated, it was made clear that the vote would
> be carried out with reference to a specific version of membership. And
> hence all the new members, which China Mobile added later, did not ask to
> vote, but planned to participate in subsequent discussions. I strongly urge
> the LF to clarify the voting results, remove five votes that did not meet
> the clearly stated qualifications in the voting initiation email
> therefore gained unfair advantage to those who obeyed the regulations,
> and make the necessary public warning to the subject (individual or
> company).

​Lingli, you note that "when the voting is initiated, it was made clear
that the vote would be carried out with reference to a specific version of
membership".  I don't think this is actually true.  I believe the email you
are referencing is here:
https://lists.onap.org/mailman/private/onap-usecasesub/2017-June/000015.html
While it does state that the source of the vote was taken from version 58
of the Use Case Subcommittee wiki page, it does not state that those are
the only people allowed to vote.

I have worked in communities, OpenDaylight being one of them, where new
members to a constituency are allowed to vote while an election is in
process.  I have also worked in communities, where this is not allowed.
Hence, I do believe the rule needs to be specified if the community feels
strongly one way or another.  Such a rule is not articulated in the ONAP
TSC Charter, in the Use Case Subcommittee Charter, nor is it articulated in
the kick-off email of the Chairperson Election.  Regardless, the
inconsistent implementation of allowing some new members to vote, but not
all new members to vote is (as I mentioned above) an operational error on
the LF, and we recognize and apologize for that.

Now, as for clarifying the voting results.  I am sorry but we are unable to
do that.  The vote was set up as anonymous within the CIVS voting system
and as a result, we *do not know* how the 5 added voters actually voted.
The output that we received, along with every other member who was invited
to vote, shows the overall result, but it does not show the detailed ballot
reporting and it keeps the actual voter information anonymous.  That URL is
here for reference:
http://civs.cs.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/results.pl?id=E_0acddbd223a75b25

I am however able to tell you the companies from which the 5 new voters
came.  4 came from Gigaspaces and 1 came from Orange.  But again, these 5
did not do anything wrong by making the request to be added to the vote.
We, the LF, should have either told those 5 that we were not allowing new
voters, or we, the LF should have automatically included all new members to
the sub-committee in the vote up until the voting ended.  I.e. in the
absence of a clear rule from the TSC or subcommittee, the LF makes our best
guess at the desire of the community, communicates that to the community,
and implements it *consistently* across all participants.  We, the LF did
not do that in this instance.

> Firstly, it is normal and healthy that there must be different opinions in
> any open organization composed of many members. Therefore, it is necessary
> to agree as far as possible on clear and unambiguous rules to specify how
> to reach consensus when the dispute arises, including the formation of the
> rule itself, the election of officials, the resolution on a specific topic,
> and so on.

​Yes, I totally agree.​

> Second, one has to admit that any pre-established rules or statutes are
> not likely to enumerate all the possible situations in a complete reality.
> In other words, there is always a gray area where the rule cannot be
> covered. It is also a normal and inevitable phenomenon that someone has
> taken advantage of these loopholes or gray areas. When it is found that
> such a situation has occurred and that it should be stopped in the future, it
> is necessary but not sufficient to prevent the recurrence of such a
> phenomenon by simply amending the rule to make up for deficiencies in the
> rules.

​I agree here as well.​

> Third, the respect for the rule itself and the faithful implementation of
> the resolution of a group formed by a process that is in accordance with
> the rules are the premises of any rule. In an organization that is
> composed of complex members, it is essential that its members, especially
> its leadership, in the process of practice, show respect the existing rules
> rather than disrupt the implementation of the rules. Especially if
> unacceptable violations to existing rules/agreement happens, if no
> correction is made, but blindly blame and amend the rule itself, even if
> they have the perfect rules in theory (that covers every situation in
> reality), these rules will be useless.

​I agree if the rule has been established and understood for a period of
time and/or if there is clear malice on behalf of the actor(s) in the
situation.  I do not think that this is the case here though. ​

> Fourth, In the handling of this specific case, the core of the problem
> cannot be solved and the undesirable behavior will be undoubtedly happening
> again, if we only focus on the amendments to the TSC Charter, rather than
> emphasizing and establishing the spirit of the community to really respect
> and defend TSC Charter. Who will respect and implement the rules/agreement,
> if the violation of the rules will not be subject to any necessary warning,
> and once there is a problem, in any case can modify the existing rules at
> any time?

​Again, I don't think a violation occurred.  I think an open request was
made by some new members of the Use Case Subcommittee​ to be invited to the
vote for Chairperson and others did not make that request.  The LF
incorrectly created an inconsistency in the execution of the election by
inviting them to vote but not inviting all other new members to vote.

Therefore, it is my firm belief that the correction of irregularities is
> the key to truly building a trust environment. Without this basic openness
> and fairness, the prosperity and success of the open source community will
> be at high risk. With this incident, I am personally involved and deeply
> troubled. As a candidate, I am under no obligation to accept unwarranted
> suspicion. I believe that all members who were voting in accordance with
> the rules regularly have the right to call for rectification of their own
> respect for the rules.

​I believe that we have a misunderstanding in that you, and undoubtedly
others took the reference to election voters coming from version 58 of the
Use Case Subcommittee wiki​ meant that  version 58 locked into place those
that were allowed to vote.  I also believe that others on the
onap-usecase...@lists.onap.org email list, where that notification was
sent, interpreted that email as an indication that "if you are on this
email list, but you aren't on the wiki, then you weren't invited to vote,
so if you want to vote, please go put your name on the wiki".  As such, I
do not fault the 5 new members that requested an invitation to vote, and I
do not fault any other new member for *not* requesting an invitation to
vote.  I put the blame for the inconsistency on the LF.

> Therefore, I strongly call for resolute redress of those violations of the
> rules and the necessary public warnings of such behavior. We need more
> *transparency
> and fairness* in this community.

​I have been as transparent and fair to all involved as I believe I can
be.  I do think this was a misunderstanding in the community, and an
operational error performed by the LF.  Let's learn and move on.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Best,

Phil.​

Thanks,

--
Phil Robb
Executive Director, OpenDaylight Project
VP Operations - Networking & Orchestration, The Linux Foundation
(O) 970-229-5949
(M) 970-420-4292
Skype: Phil.Robb