KASHYAP >”Earth is just a little tiny planet in a universe with billions of
galaxies each with billions of stars and planets. We do not know if there is
life elsewhere…”

I’m not sure why the question of whether there is life elsewhere is such a
mystery. I’m going to stick my neck out and suggest that it’s almost a
certainty, and that it is scientific to accept this as the null hypothesis. May
we place the burden of proof on the eccentrics among us to prove this sensible
assumption wrong. Why do I accept life throughout as the given? Here be some
reasons:

1)      Evidence seems to suggest that the same dumb dirt that exists on Planet
Earth exists elsewhere throughout the universe (e.g., spectral analyses);

2)      Complexity not only exists on Planet Earth but it persists across time.
It is this persistence across time that suggests a reconciliation with the laws
of physics and entropy… that there is something about the properties of life
and the dumb dirt that comprises its chemistry that suggests a predisposition
to life wherever the conditions are right;

3)      The life-crucial properties of dumb dirt are complex and precise. Dumb
dirt is actually very smart, and it seems inconceivable to me how a dumb-luck
universe can even be taken seriously;

4)      In other words, the predispositions that exist here are likely to exist
elsewhere throughout the universe.

I accept that this contention is, given current technologies, unverifiable and
unfalsifiable. But isn’t it self-evident that life as the given should be the
default… the null hypothesis… until proven otherwise? Christopher Columbus was
probably not surprised to find life when he first set foot on American soil. So
too, we should not be surprised at the manifestation of life wherever
conditions are right.

Why is this important? The default null hypothesis is important because it
changes the questions that we ask. No longer do we ask whether advanced
civilizations are possible. Instead, when we take advanced civilizations as the
default, we can gape in amazement at what the possibilities might be, and we
can explore alternative technologies that might better equip us for making
contact. The amount of time and money wasted with SETI, where instead it might
better serve us to ask what technologies lay in wait, yet to be discovered.
Also, by asking the right questions, we become better equipped to revisit our
assumptions, for example, the nature of space and time.

So what might advanced civilizations be like? No, they’re not always going to
be comprised of scientists in labcoats, professors in academia, democracy as we
interpret it, a savior who died on a cross, and culture wars between the left
and the right. Many of the possibilities are probably beyond our comprehension.
By contrast, if we do not accept this null hypothesis… if we think in material
terms and linear narratives, then we assume that advanced civilizations, if
they exist, will be much like we are, and our field of view becomes
considerably narrowed, and our philosophy and epistemology solipsistic and
parochial. We might be paying a huge price for failing to properly designate
our null hypothesis, with life as the pervasive default.

Regards, sj