+1

-----Original Message-----
From: Simon Phipps [mailto:si...@webmink.com]
Sent: Saturday, June 18, 2011 13:46
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Subversion history

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 12:55 AM, Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 19:00, Tor Lillqvist <t...@iki.fi> wrote:
> > But would ASF be able to distribute such binary releases (and the
> > corresponding sources) that include non-Oracle LGPL bits?
>
> Probably not, but in more recent years, we've been talking about how
> to distribute non-ALv2 from ASF hardware. Essentially along the lines
> of, "this is not ASF software; we are providing it here as a
> convenience." We just don't want to mislead people to think they are
> Apache releases or Apache-licensed.
>
> Identifying the archival releases that need to be saved is important,
> regardless. Maybe the TDF could distribute those, or maybe OSU/OSL or
> one of our mirror providers. I've got to believe that a volunteer
> provider would be willing to hold the archives.

One viable option would be to approach archive.org and ask them to host the
legacy releases (naturally we'd need to help make it happen). In fact, it
might also be smart to try to host a snapshot of the entire OO.o site there
before there's a full transition from Oracle to Apache.  I've sent an
enquiry to their info alias to get their views.

S.