I like the idea of using ODF, for the reasons you state.

I assuming this implies ODF files in the SVN repository.  If so, we're
going to have three pain points:

1) Since ODF is not a text format, diff's are not possible with the
default SVN tools.  Yes, we can do change tracking inside of the
document, but it is harder to monitor changes to an ODF document in
the repository by looking at commit messages.

2) How do non-committer contributors submit user guide patches and how
are they reviewed and applied?

3) Similar to #2, how do we merge changes if multiple committers
modify the same file?

None of these are killers.  We could reduce the the impact of #3 if we
used fine-grained ODF documents.  So instead of 100 page documents,
have ten ten-page documents that could be merged for publication.
That way we get fewer conflicts.

There are things we could do about #1.  SVN allows an external diff
program.  We could write one, perhaps using the ODF Toolkit, that
extracts text and diffs it.  Similarly, we could write an ODF patch
utility.  Yes, this is extra work, but it is useful and would benefit
more than just OOo.

-Rob