These things (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_POI#History_and_roadmap) just
make me cringe.  At least Charles Simonyi
(<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Simonyi>)has the consolation of
traveling into space (twice!) and various philanthropic activities.

I assume, when speaking of an OLE2 Compound Document File format, one is *not*
speaking of all Microsoft Office file formats but specifically the Office 97 -
2003 (-2010?) binary container format also known, I believe, as the DocFile
format?  (I thought it was used in Word 6.0 too, but I don't trust my
recollection.)

Perhaps an appropriate expression (although I love the JIRA connection to
Godzilla, had I known it) for Japanese consumption would be Honorable
SpreadSheet Format, eXalted SpreadSheet Format, etc.

A certain tilting of the head is appropriate when speaking the names of these
objects.  POIFS is, respectfully, the Politely Obvious Information File System.
 DDF (Devilish Drawing Format) is spoken of only in hushed reverence at mens
smokers.  VDGF is certainly more appropriate for the Venerable DiaGram Format.

The details of CDF, some common components, and their use representing
documents of the different Office Applications, are now available on-line in a
show of compliance to various regulatory authorities:
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc313118.aspx>.  The set has been
expanded to include the Outlook .PST format, though I suspect that might not be
based on CDF.

I cannot attest to anything about their quality or accuracy, limiting my
struggles at overcoming obfuscation to ODF these days.

 - Dennis