On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 11:42 AM, Mathias Bauer <mathias_ba...@gmx.net>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get a build without (L)GPL components. I'm making good
> progress, but I'm unsure about the limitations we have.
>
> Let's consider an arbitrary library, e.g. neon.
>
> In my build I have disabled neon and so the build system neither builds
> the neon module nor the webdav UCP component in the ucb module. But I
> have neon on my system, so I could use it, and I wonder whether we could
> also use it in an "official" build from ooo.apache.org.
>
> configure has an option called "--with-system-neon" where the neon
> library and the neon headers are expected to be installed elsewhere.
> With that option this external neon is used to build the webdav UCP
> component in the ucb module. The resulting builds does not contain any
> part of neon, and it will run only on a system that has the same neon
> version installed.

a good question and if we could use a system version it would be very good
until we may find a better alternative. But i am not sure if all patches are
already contributed back or better are accepted. I know that Kai Sommerfeld
always tried to contribute things back but maybe there are still patches
open.

> Would that build be compatible to the Apache license restrictions?
>
> In that case I would not disable neon in case a "non copyleft" build is
> required, but automatically set the "--with-system-neon" option.
>
> The same is true for a lot of other libraries.

i guess it would definitely help us faster to get a first version faster.

Juergen