On Sat, 2011-07-23 at 20:32 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:

> In any case, I think there is some benefit to stepping back and asking
> the basic question: how do we decide such questions about the user
> interface?
>
> A) Do we simply weight in with our personal opinions, saying "I like
> X",  "I don't like Y", "I like blue" or "I think X is pretty"?

There are always going to be subjective decisions that have to be made
when it comes to marketing, look & feel and UX components, at some point
in the process. We don't have the resources to do otherwise and
certainly not within a reasonable time frame. The objective bit comes
with download numbers.

> or
>
> B) Do we have a way of raising the discussion about mere opinion and
> bring data to bear on the question?
>
> Certainly if we were discussing a performance improvement, a proponent
> of a significant change would be called on to show the numbers, to
> justify the change with hard data.  We would not necessarily make wise
> decision relying on opinion, absent data.
>
> Consensus is great, but informed consensus is golden.
>
> Is there some way we can bring some structure to user interface
> decisions via usability testing?

Usability testing would be great but it costs... money that we don't
have, the next best thing is going to the community with options.
However, isn't the Apache way, "He who does the work makes the
decision." and the (P)PMC then ratifies or not

However, we have a number of things that should be worked out and nailed
down first in terms of branding.

The Name?

Colour Pallet, the colour Pallet should show consistency across logo,
Website, branding bugs, promotional materials and including of course
icons

Style Manual

Just for starters, if anyone can add to the list please do.

Cheers
GL

--
Graham Lauder,