----- Original Message -----

> From: Florent André <flor...@apache.org>
> To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
> On 07/26/2011 04:50 AM, Sam Ruby wrote:
>>  On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 4:58 PM, florent andré
>>  <florent.andre-...@4sengines.com>  wrote:
>>>  Hi,

>>   From a legal perspective, there is no difference between svn, git, or
>>  even hg for that matter.  This is for the PPMC to decide, in
>>  conjunction with infrastructure.
>>
>>  What purpose would there be to retaining a "long-term...archive"
> of
>>  "incompatible licensed code" on Apache Infrastructure?  I fully
>>  understand the short term need during incubation, but what is the
>>  intended purpose of this code post graduation?
>
> Thanks Sam for this insight.
>
> Good point.
> It depend the duration of incubation imo and if all useful stuff is
> integrated when graduation appear...

History can often be useful for tracking down bugs, determining the intent of
something, and more.
This can be gleaned both from the source code and (hopefully) any comments
logged with the commits to the respective version control system.
So there are useful uses for it for at least developers in the long term.

Ben