From: Greg Stein [mailto:gst...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2011 13:06
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Cc: dennis.hamil...@acm.org
Subject: Re: Q: Notices in Code

On Jul 28, 2011 12:44 PM, "Rob Weir" <apa...@robweir.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 3:18 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <dennis.hamil...@acm.org> wrote:
> > Greg,
> >
> > Simple version of the question: Is your putting notices on everything
your personal practice or is it a requirement that this be done with all
textual artifacts where notices are possible?

> >  - Dennis
> >
> > LONGER VERSION
> >
> > I looked over the ooo/trunk/tools/dev/ repository and noticed that you
put Apache notices on all of your files, including .txt and .sh.

> > I have been setting up forensic tools on a different repository that I
happen to be the sole committer for, and I wanted to stage things so that
they could be cleanly transferred/granted to Apache if that became desirable
at some point.  I am being careful with category A third-party code, not
using any other kind, and putting everything else and the combined works
under an Apache license.

> > Is it a rigorous requirement to put Apache notices on all textual files
that I am placing under the Apache license?  (I have test data that, by its
nature, I can't do that with, but I can do so on the containers and
descriptive texts about that data.)

> Does this page answer your question?
>
> http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html

Right. Whenever possible.

We have a tool called RAT (no link handy right now) that will help identify
files missing a header. We can start running that later, after we get things
building.

Cheers,
-g