On Sun, 2011-08-14 at 13:37 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 1:06 PM, drew <d...@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> > [from out of left field]
> > Would members consider transferring ownership of the current repository
> > hosted on the OSUOSL server to a third party, perhaps created
> > specifically to take this over, and then working with them to create the
> > indirect reference site under the AOO project, filtering out
> > un-acceptably licensed items as a way to achieving option #2. This would
> > move the entire repository without needing to locate individual authors.
> >

> I don't see how we can claim ownership of the content on the OSUOSL
> server.

Hi Rob,

Well, I'm not at all sure I agree with that, what exactly happened then
when the Sun brand came off the site and the Oracle brand went up, that
was window dressing with regards to the site name - Oracle could not of
moved the site to xxx.oracleoffice.org even if they also maintained a
live redirect of the old address?

> It was not part of the Oracle SGA, as far as I know.  So it
> is not ours to give to a 3rd party.
>
> But if a 3rd party steps forward and is willing to navigate the
> licenses and figure out way to host them all, then I'd wish them the
> best of luck.
>
> The main technical things we need to coordinate are:
>
> 1) How are submissions made to the catalog
>
> 2) How is the catalog queried?
>
> 3) How are extension updates propagated?
>
> 4) Do we want a single catalog, in the style of Firefox plugins, or
> allow multiple catalogs, perhaps filtered by support category or
> license, like Ubuntu?
>
> 5) What do we need to do to ensure a clean programmatic interface to
> the catalog (a RESTful service) as well as a good end-user UI?
>
> 6) Is there a way we can manage, with sufficient user data protection
> provisions, some sort of recommendation engine, where extensions are
> recommended either based on user actions, or based on ratings and
> similarities to other users (collaborative filtering)?
>
> 7) Is there anything we can do to allow the user to interact with
> extensions (browse, sort, filter, download, rate, update, etc.)
> entirely within OOo editors?
>
> So in general, I think this is an opportunity to do more than just
> re-host the existing extensions site.  It is an opportunity to rethink
> how users and extensions authors could interact.

I agree with much of that
- I guess I would opt here to pull us back from either my
out-of-left-field idea, or the perfect solution for the moment.

Just hit the templates site and it's back, I would rather we ask the
current admin about what, if any, maintenance is needing done on the
site, and then we should offer, if it would help, to try and find some
volunteer help to get that done, asap.

While not to lose focus on working those longer term ideas.

Best wishes,

//drew