From: Rob Weir [mailto:robw...@apache.org]
Sent: Sunday, September 04, 2011 11:24
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Dissatisfaction amongst the community admins, moderators and
volunteers

[ ... ]

If you do not own the hardware, the domain name and the trademark,
then you are operating at the pleasure of those who do own these
things.  That might feel like autonomy, but that is illusory.  If you
want to see what autonomy looks like, look at http://www.oooforum.org/

The thing to gain some appreciation of is that the unit of decision
making at Apache is the project.  There is a single group of project
committers and a single (P)PMC.  No one "owns" any service within the
project.  No one has exclusive freedom of action.  No one can act on
their own without risk of a veto.  We don't fragment and
compartmentalize the project into autonomous functions that are immune
for discussion, consensus building, vetos and votes from other project
members.

[ ... ]