Hi Dennis,

I am under impression that the license for everything on OOo is PDL, yet almost
nothing fulfills the terms.

Copyrights are with the Initial Writer. If I can find an Initial Writer I will
mark it - pretty much only in <META> tags although that is whose OOo back in
2000/2002 created or changed the page or some lists in some places.

As far as copyright where there is no identified Initial Writer should we:

(1) Have no copyright.
(2) Put the ASF copyright in place.
(3) Put an Oracle copyright on it.
(4) Put an OpenOffice.org copyright on it.

We can't do (3) we're not Oracle. We should stop doing (2).

Unless there is an argument in one direction or another I'll do (1) by Lazy
Consensus.

I recommend that as we replace pages with AOOo policies that we create mdtext
replacements as fresh files.

On Sep 7, 2011, at 4:11 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> Dave,
>
> It would seem that these (few, I believe we're told) can be handled the same
> as unclear provenance anywhere in the code base and its dependencies.
>
> The ideal time to clean these up would be when the site is under the
> OpenOffice.org domain name but actually hosted on Apache infrastructure.
> That gives complete ability to make all of the adjustments that are needed,
> including the numerous minor ones to connect to the Bugzilla, etc.
>
> I'm not clear how migration of the wiki is impacted, unless you mean the
> proposed movement of material now on static web pages into the wiki?

That is my concern. Kay will need to assure that we know which wiki pages came
in as "PDL" as I think they'll need to stay that way.

> Exactly where are you finding these PDL license notices?  The first one I
> found was on the "Open Office.org 3 Installation Guide", a PDF (or ODT)
> reachable from <http://download.openoffice.org/common/instructions.html>.  If
> we *don't touch it* can't it be retained until a permissively-licenses
> alternative is needed?  I don't see a reason to be concerned that the
> authors/contributors did not properly execute the instructions of the license
> they have offered.

That's not the concern, the concern is if StarOffice, Sun, and/or Oracle lost
the paperwork. I suppose should we be presented with a copy of the PDL from an
Initial Writer then we fix the issue.

Regards,
Dave