On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 4:57 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Hi Dennis,
>
> I am under impression that the license for everything on OOo is PDL, yet
> almost nothing fulfills the terms.
>
> Copyrights are with the Initial Writer. If I can find an Initial Writer I
> will mark it - pretty much only in <META> tags although that is whose OOo
> back in 2000/2002 created or changed the page or some lists in some places.
>
> As far as copyright where there is no identified Initial Writer should we:
>
> (1) Have no copyright.
> (2) Put the ASF copyright in place.
> (3) Put an Oracle copyright on it.
> (4) Put an OpenOffice.org copyright on it.
>
> We can't do (3) we're not Oracle. We should stop doing (2).
>
> Unless there is an argument in one direction or another I'll do (1) by Lazy
> Consensus.
>
> I recommend that as we replace pages with AOOo policies that we create
> mdtext replacements as fresh files.
>
> On Sep 7, 2011, at 4:11 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>
> > Dave,
> >
> > It would seem that these (few, I believe we're told) can be handled the
> same as unclear provenance anywhere in the code base and its dependencies.
> >
> > The ideal time to clean these up would be when the site is under the
> OpenOffice.org domain name but actually hosted on Apache infrastructure.
>  That gives complete ability to make all of the adjustments that are needed,
> including the numerous minor ones to connect to the Bugzilla, etc.
> >
> > I'm not clear how migration of the wiki is impacted, unless you mean the
> proposed movement of material now on static web pages into the wiki?
>
> That is my concern. Kay will need to assure that we know which wiki pages
> came in as "PDL" as I think they'll need to stay that way.

uh...well I am not sure AT ALL how to determine this esp the pages that are
not English. Oh joy -- I'm not a good legal eagle. :(

Somehow I have a feeling that when OpenOffice.org spec'd the PDL, we/they
were just trying to use something convenient that was available in the
public domain.

Anyway, I'll take a look at the NL sites in the next day or so and see what
I can determine.

> > Exactly where are you finding these PDL license notices?  The first one I
> found was on the "Open Office.org 3 Installation Guide", a PDF (or ODT)
> reachable from <http://download.openoffice.org/common/instructions.html>.
>  If we *don't touch it* can't it be retained until a permissively-licenses
> alternative is needed?  I don't see a reason to be concerned that the
> authors/contributors did not properly execute the instructions of the
> license they have offered.
>
> That's not the concern, the concern is if StarOffice, Sun, and/or Oracle
> lost the paperwork. I suppose should we be presented with a copy of the PDL
> from an Initial Writer then we fix the issue.
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>

> > - Dennis
> >
> > RELAXED RETAIN, SUPPLEMENT, AND REPLACE SCENARIO
> >
> > If the notices are always in standalone documents such as the
> Installation Guide, I don't see any problem making them available the same
> way they are now.  They should simply be left intact.  They can be replaced
> by non-derivative replacements later, when there are Apache OOo releases
> that require different information.  I don't see why we have to hurry.
>  Instructions for existing releases remain valuable to keep around.  I
> suggest preserving them right where they are, where people expect to find
> them.
> >
> > When there are releases from Apache OOo, supplementary documents could be
> offered.  That would be another way to provide specific information
> applicable to later releases.  I see considerable time before these
> PDL-licensed documents need to be supplanted. They might be retained for a
> very long time.
> >

> > - Dennis

MzK

"There's something about the sound of a train
 that's very romantic and nostalgic and hopeful."
                               -- Paul Simon